With all the hype out there about CBD oil, one has to wonder about CBD oil for joint pain. Does it work? Is it all hype and snake oil salesmen? CBD has shown a lot of promise when it comes to helping with chronic pain issues, such as arthritis and joint pain.
So, how do you use CBD oil for joint pain?
What is CBD oil?
Before we get started with how to use CBD for joint pain, we need to understand a bit more about what CBD actually is. CBD is one of hundreds of cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. THC is the most commonly known cannabinoid, and is responsible for the high that most people associate with marijuana.
CBD is different though in that it is produced from the hemp plant (also in the cannabis family). Hemp is high in CBD but low in THC. This means you get loads of medicinal benefits from CBD and other cannabinoids but without the psychoactive effects of THC.
CBD is especially known for its ability to fight inflammation and pain. Full Spectrum CBD oil has been proven to be most effective when it comes to reducing pain and inflammation, so its super important to use full spectrum CBD products if you are not required to pass random drug screenings.
How to use CBD oil for joint pain
- Rheumatoid arthritis: An autoimmune disease in which a person’s immune system attacks their joints, causing inflammation. Rheumatoid arthritis often a leads to painful, swollen, and stiff joints in the hands and feet.
- Osteoarthritis : A degenerative disease that causes pain in joint cartilage and bones. It often affects the hip, knee, and thumb joints.
Although there are not many scientific studies proving definitively that CBD helps with arthritis, this one particular study suggests some promise.
There is also loads of anecdotal evidence as well. The study suggests that cannabis can produce therapeutic benefits for osteoarthritis. It even suggest CBD can not only reduce pain, but even improve joint function.
One of the most important things to note about using CBD oil for anything, but especially for pain management is this:
Everybody reacts differently to CBD. It’s similar to how somebody might react to caffeine or prescription drugs. Everybody experiences a different result with the same dosage.
It’s important to be patient when it comes to figuring out your dosage.
Start with a low dose, about 5mg per day. Slowly build up the dosage every few days until desired results are achieved. You might even try spacing out your dosage throughout the day, or taking one in the morning and one in the evening.
It’s also important to note it can take up to 30 days for CBD to build up in your system and really produce the results you are looking for.
Pain related issues such as joint pain and arthritis also usually require higher doses of CBD. Working up to at least 20mg of CBD per day is a good STARTING point.
What CBD products are best for joint pain?
As I mentioned already, full spectrum CBD oil is best for arthritis and joint pain.
There are plenty of options out there in terms of the types of products available. The two best options though are tincture oils and pain creams.
A lot of Hemp Daddy’s customers get amazing results from our transdermal pain cream. Since it’s more than just a salve it penetrates all layers of the skin, making it a highly effective CBD product for localized pain.
As with dosage, people also react differently to various CBD products. So if a tincture oil didn’t work for you, you might want to try a pain cream or even something like CBD capsules.
Risks and side effects associated with CBD
There are little known side effects with CBD oil. Some people might feel tired with really large doses, which is why spacing out your dosage throughout the day is a good idea. Or move your largest dose until bedtime so that you can get a good nights sleep.
Some people do experience mild stomach pain or nausea when taking CBD, which is why it’s super important to start with a low dose. Often times the nausea is due to taking too large of a dose starting out.
Building up to your perfect dose also allows you to watch for potential negative side effects. If you notice anything negative while taking CBD, simply back down on your dose, or go a couple days without taking any before resuming consumption. Stay at a lower dose for a few days before attempting to increase your dosage again.
What to look for in a CBD product
When searching for a quality CBD product it’s important to look for a few key things:
- Lab Results – Be sure the brand you purchase from provides third party lab results. Hemp Daddy’s provides this for all of our products. Ours can be found, here.
- Go Organic – Most hemp crops are organic, but very few carry the USDA Organic Certification like Hemp Daddy’s CBD does.
- Buy local – By local, I mean grown in the USA. Many brands source their hemp from Europe or China. The quality of hemp from overseas just doesn’t compare and is often contaminated with heavy metals. Hemp Daddy’s has a number of UK Customers that chose to buy from the US because the quality of European hemp is just not that great.
- Use Full Spectrum CBD oil – Full Spectrum CBD products are much more effective. Especially when it comes to pain issues like joint pain and arthritis.
Further reading and scientific studies on CBD oil
- Involvement of the endocannabinoid system in osteoarthritis pain
- Transdermal cannabidiol reduces inflammation and pain-related behaviours in a rat model of arthritis
- Efficacy of full spectrum CBD oil vs CBD isolate
- Treating neuropathic pain in cancer patients
If you are seeking joint pain relief, CBD just might be the answer you have been looking for. For many people it has dramatically changed their quality of life. There is a good chance it can for you too.
The Hemp Daddy’s team is also here to answer your questions. So don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any.